Kohima, May 21 (NEx): The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has approved the country’s first self-use rapid antigen test Kit for home-based rapid antigen testing (RAT) for COVID-19- CoviSelf.
The Kit is developed by Pune-based company, Mylab Discovery Solutions, the firm that produced the country’s first RT-PCR kits last year.
The kit will be priced at ₹250 per unit and can be bought without a prescription from local pharmacies and online channel partners, the Pune-based company said in a statement.
Advisory issued by ICMR for COVID-19 Home Testing using Rapid Antigen Tests (RATs);
– The ICMR said home testing by RAT is advised only in symptomatic individuals and immediate contacts of laboratory-confirmed positive cases.
– No prescription by a doctor is required to test samples by CoviSelf kits.
– Home testing should be conducted as per the procedure described by the manufacturer in the user manual.
– After procuring the CoviSelf kit, the users need to download the Mylab app available in Google play store and Apple store.
– The mobile app is a comprehensive guide of the testing procedure and will provide a positive or negative test result to the patient.
– All users are advised to click a picture of the test strip after completing the test procedure with the same mobile phone which has been used for downloading the mobile app and user registration.
– Data in the app of your mobile phone will be centrally captured in a secure server which is connected with the ICMR COVID-19 testing portal, where all data will be eventually stored.
– Patient confidentiality will be fully maintained.
– All individuals who test positive may be considered as true positives and no repeat testing is required.
– All positive tested individuals are advised to follow home isolation and care as per the ICMR & Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoH&FW) protocol.
– All symptomatic individuals who tests negative by RAT should get themselves immediately tested by RT-PCR. This
is especially important as the RATs are likely to miss few positive cases presenting with a low viral load.
– All RAT negative symptomatic individuals may be treated as suspect COVID-19 cases and are advised to follow the ICMR/MoH&FW home isolation protocol while awaiting the RT-PCR test result.
– All results may be interpreted as per the protocol laid down by the manufacturer in the user manual.
– Manufacturer’s instructions must be strictly followed for disposal of the test kit, swab and other materials.