Several Naga political groups and civil society organizations on Sunday appealed to ensure that peace is maintained in the Naga Self Administered (SAZ) area in the aftermath of the crackdown on NSCN-K by the Myanmar army. The political groups and organizations also said that innocent Naga people are not made to suffer.
Myanmar army launched operation against the Nationalist Socialist Council of Nagaland- Khaplang (NSCN-K) faction Thursday last week near Hoyat village along the Indo-Myanmar border.
Naga Hoho, the apex body of Naga civil rights, cautioned on Monday that the “indiscriminate” military action has the potential to result in a widespread Naga uprising. Chuba Ozukum, president of Naga Hoho, said, “We are trying to establish contacts with those affected Naga villages. We have been told that the villagers are facing untold misery. They are reportedly confined and not allowed to move around.”
The NNC (Parent Body) in its statement said the ‘Naga people are maintaining absolute peace for the last two three years and at such time both the armies creating situation against the people is uncalled for, especially for the innocent public who are targeted and their entire properties were burned, livestock killed and their foodstuff/granaries destroyed’.
The statement from the Information and Publicity Wing of the NNC expressed concern that ‘innocent public are made to suffer immensely because of the fight in the area, especially the old, women and children who are made to run to different places in the jungle’.
The Forum for Naga Reconciliation (FNR) also issued a statement standing with the Eastern Konyak Union’s (Myanmar) concern over the plight of innocent civilians in the Naga Self-Administered Zone.
The Naga Mothers’ Association (NMA) also expressed serious concern that “it is the poor villagers in these border areas who bear the brunt and trauma of such warfare and conflicts.”