Kohima, January 6 (NE): The music maestro Dr. A.R Rahman turns 53 today, January six. Wishes started pouring in for the music legend from around the world since morning. Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio, Task Force for Music and Arts (TaFMA) extends birthday wishes to the music maestro.
Grammy and Oscar Awards winning music maestro, DR. A. R. Rahman was the ‘Guest of honour’ for the closing Ceremony of Nagaland Hornbill Festival 2019 on December 10, 2019. Also KM Music Conservatory is the Knowledge partner for Task Force For Music and Arts (TaFMA), Nagaland where DR. A. R. Rahman is the Founder and Principal.
Here are some lesser known facts about AR Rahman:
1. Rahman was born into a Hindu family as Dileep Kumar. At the age of 23, the music composer went ahead to embrace Islam, after he met his spiritual guru, Qadri Islam.
2. Before he stepped in the entertainment industry, he was seen in Doordarshan’s Wonder Balloon as a kid where he shot to fame for being the kid who could play 4 keyboards at once.
3. Mani Ratnam was the first one to spot the talent in Rahman and began film scoring for Ratnam’s Tamil film Roja in 1992. He got a sum of 25000 rupees for the project, and he became the recipient of National Film Award along with huge success, popularity and admiration.
4. AR Rahman married Saira, they have three children – Ameen, Khatija and Rahima. Interestingly, his son, Ameen shares the same birth date with his dad, that is 6th January.
5. AR Rahman is the first Asian to have won 2 Oscars in the same year for ‘Slumdog Millionaire’. The Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri recipient has also won 4 National Awards.
6. Not many know that the Oscar winning song “Jai Ho” was initially composed for the Salman Khan starrer- Yuvraaj!
7. Apart from Slumdog Millionaire, Rahman has also composed great scores for other Hollywood films like 127 Hours and Lord Of War.
8. AR Rahman joined hands with Mick Jagger, Dave Stewart and Joss Stone to introduce a completely different kind of music under the name SuperHeavy. Stewart termed SuperHeavy as a ‘mad alchemist type experiment’.
9. To honour the singer-composer, a street in Markham, Ontario, Canada, was named after him in November 2013.
10. Reportedly, Airtel’s signature tune which is composed by Rahman, is said to be the world’s most downloaded mobile music with over 150 million downloads.