Kohima, January 9 (NE): Ever since Nagaland BJP started missed call campaign to register support for Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA) on Saturday, January 4, 2020, users from various social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram were very actively commenting on this campaign.
Here is a report from NagalandExpress on how Nagaland netizens reacted.
On January 4, 2020, BJP Nagaland & Nagaland BJP President, Temjen Imna Along took to twitter to inform on the missed call campaign to register support for Pro-CAA, also requesting people to register their support which has brought Nagaland social media once again back in action. Within hours after NagalandExpress published the news on missed call campaign, comments started flowing in like never before, undoubtedly one of the most commented news report so far for the new year 2020 from Nagaland.
It is important to note that, Benjamin Yepthomi, State President, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha(BJYM), Nagaland on October 9, 2019 said, 27% voters in Nagaland has enrolled for BJP membership- that is out of 11,83,000 plus registered voters in Nagaland, a total of 3,29,358 voters have already enrolled from Nagaland for the world’s largest political party and it’s still counting on, he added.
Past few weeks, social media has seen less activities from Nagaland because of Christmas and New Year celebration and maybe hangover. As we entered the second week of the New year, slowly social media engagement is also showing increase, a report stated.
Below are few comments posted by Nagaland social media users in different platforms. Perhaps this will speak the volume on where Nagaland stands on this sensitive issue.
It’s also important to note that Union Home Minister Amit Shah said, over 52 lakh calls were received till Monday, January 6, 2020, from people who have extended their support to the Citizenship (Amendment) Act. As part of its campaign to mobilise support for the Citizenship (Amendment) Act, a toll-free number was launched on January 2, 2020, which allows the people to give missed calls to register their support in favor of Pro-CAA campaign.
The missed call to register support for Pro-CAA, a campaign which started to gain support from the people took a rather interesting turn. As it later emerged, many Twitter accounts had begun misleading their followers into calling the number on pretexts that callers would get “free Netflix subscription”, connect with job openings and others, which later made Union Home Minister Amit Shah to step in to clear the air. Amit Shah on Sunday, January five, rubbished the reports that a toll-free number launched by BJP to register support for CAA was linked to Netflix.
It need to be seen how missed call campaign, 10 days door-to-door campaign, etc will bring its results in getting support from the people.